WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO SAVE WATER ?
Water is essential for all life on earth.
We need it to grow food , keep clean, provide power control, fire and stay alive.
Did you know that less than 1 % of all water on earth can be used? The rest of the 99% of water is salt water or permanently frozen.
As the world’s population grows, more people are using up this limited resource. That’s why it’s important to use water wisely and not waste it.
Turn off the tap when you do not use it.
Don’t bathe, shower instead when you don’t use it.
Shorten Your Shower
FIX the leaking taps
Check your faucets at home — do any of them drip? Maybe it’s just a small drip — how much water can a little drip waste? True, a single drip won’t waste much water, but think about each faucet in your home dripping a little bit all day long. What if every faucet in every home on your block … in your town … in your state also dripped? The drips would add up to a flood of water wasted down the drain.
There is no scientific definition of the volume of a faucet drip, but after measuring a number of kitchen and bathroom sink faucets, according to scientists calculations A leaky Tap or pipe can waste anything up to 20,000 litres of water per year!
Water your plant wisely.
Watering Wisely Preserves Our Water Resources
Everyone wants attractive yards and green areas in their neighborhoods. We can have them and save water too. All we have to do is water wisely by practicing various water-saving techniques out-of-doors.
Use trickle, drip or soaker hose irrigation systems where possible. They use less water than sprinklers. These methods are particularly effective with areas that require more water such as trees or gardens.
Over watering not only reduces our water supply but can result in excess water that runs off carrying fertilizers and pollutants into our bay. Over watering could result in disease such as fungus and in the excessive growth of weeds and pests.
Washing your car?Use a sponge!
The best way to wash your car at home is with a bucket and sponge on a lawn so that waste water can be soaked up instead of entering the stormwater system.
If you use a hose for rinsing only and if the hose has a ‘trigger’ attachment fitted, you will conserve more water when you release the trigger, as the water flow stops and you do not waste this precious resource.
Be kind to the environment.
Use water wisely!